The prosperous Jhunjhunu city, located in Jhunjhunu district is part of the erstwhile Shekhawati region in Rajasthan. The Shekhawati region was named after the brave ruler, Rao-Shekhawati, who ruled over a vast area for several years in the 14th century. According to legends and folklores, in Lohargarh, a pilgrimage center, Pandavas in exile came and bathed and cleaned their weapons in the Surya Kund there.  The region was known to be a part of the Chauhan dynasty, while later it was taken over by Mohammed Khan and his son, Samas Khan in 1450.The town and district are known for brave soldiers, who lost their lives in protecting the country against the intruders. Jhunjhunu town is fast developing as the major center of commercial and trading activities although, it has always been a center of business magnates and rich agriculturists. The semi arid weather and suburban fringes of desert has an added charm. The natural scenic landscapes with the backdrop of ancient havelis adorned with detailed stone carvings are picturesque.

Jhunjhunu Tourist Places

rani-sati-temple

Rani Sati Temple

The Rani Sati Temple is dedicated to Shri Rani Satiji, as a mark of respect to motherhood and feminine bravery. This temple is visited by numerous followers and worshippers everyday to offer their pujas and prayers.

A sacred ritual is held on the occasion of ‘Bhado Amavasya’ or no moon day. The Pardhan Mand with the imposing Shikhar also houses a portrait of Rani Satiji. The main temple is the sanctum sanctorum and the whole edifice is in white marble. The temple also has some interesting murals and colourful wall paintings.

Kamruddin Shah’s Dargah, Jhunjhunu

kamruddinThe dargah or shrine of Kamruddin Shah is a complex located at the foot of the hill, known as Kana Pahar. This dargah is the tomb of the Muslim saint, Kamruddin and was built in the mid 19th century. It consists of a mosque, madrassa or Koran school, mehfilkhana or concert hall and a ramp that leads to the imposing gateway. Around the courtyard, some traces of murals of floral motifs are still visible. Within the complex, a little pyramid like structure was erected for the infant son of Major Forster, who died in 1841.

Badal Garh Fort

The Badalgarh Fort was built by Nawab Fazl Khan, towards the end of the 17th century. Though it badalgarhis considered one of the popular forts of Shekhawati, it was basically built as a stable to protect the camels and horses. Therefore, this palace lacks the ‘sheesh mahals’ or mirror palaces and ‘baradaris’ or pavilions that is usually found in other palaces.

Apart from providing views of the surrounding areas, the fort has three tombs or ‘makbaras’ of the Kaimkhani nawabs. The tomb of Nawab Samas Khan is situated to the east of the town and the tomb of Bhawan Khan that was built by Rohella Khan is situated to the west of the town. The Rohella Khan’s tomb is like a solid block that is topped by a dome.

Mertani ji Ki Baori

mertani-baoriThe oldest step well of Jhunjhunu is the Mertaniji ki Baori that was built in 1783, by Sardul Singh’s widow as an act of generosity. The structure is considered an architectural feat and has flights of steps descending through arches.

 

Bihari Ji Temple

Bihari Ji temple is dedicated to Bihariji and is visited by many devotees everyday. The temple is mainly known for its antique paintings and murals.

Khetri Mahal

khetri-mahalThe Khetri Mahal, also called the Wind Palace was built in the year 1770 and is known for its architectural heritage. This palace was built by Bhopal Singh, the grandson of Sardul Singh and the founder of Khetri.

The palace consists of  marble pillars instead of walls, thereby facilitating the maximum flow of air through the building. From the entrance, a ramp is ascended through the palace, which was used by the Rajputs to ride up their horses. The palace comprises of large halls with pillars and arches. This palace inspired Sawai Pratap Singh of Jaipur, who built the Hawa Mahal in 1799.

Other Mejor Turist Attractions are

  • Sone Chandi Ki Haweli
  • Aath Hawelis
  • Birdichand Well
  • Mukundgarh Fort
  • Forsterganj – A British Establishment